Development of a system for the prevention and response to marine and air pollution by Hazardous Noxious Substances
SICMA will be implemented in three pilot areas which are maritime terminals operated by CEPSA. These terminals are located in the Bay of Algeciras (Spain), the Ría de Huelva (Spain), and Port of Livorno (Italy).
To achieve the main aim, the following specific technical goals are proposed:
- To define the functionalities and requirements of SICMA system.
- To develop a new interface (SICMA Data Hub) for the management of operational databases (numerical, measured and satellite).
- To carry out laboratory experiments to analyse the physical an chemical behavior of main substances handeld in marine facilities.
- To develop new algorithms for the operational forecast of marine and atmospheric pollution from HNS spills.
- To develop new methodologies to evaluate risk and enhance safety in the response to HNS spills.
- To deploy the system in real situations and calibrate and validate it using laboratory experiments (results of goal 3) and field experiments (e.g. buoy deployments).
- To develop a user-oriented interface to facilitate the decision making in emergency situations.